About the Episode
In this podcast, Matt Bateman, one of the founders of Higher Ground Education, discusses the Montessori method of education and how it compares to other teaching methodologies. Get ready for tiny furniture, putting on your jacket upside down, and teaching your toddler to make eggs benedict. Topics discussed:
- Maria Montessori
- What is a Montessori education (besides tiny furniture)?
- How Montessori classrooms differ from regular ones
- Why long periods of interrupted problem solving is important for a child’s development
- How Montessori integrates with technology
- Drawbacks of traditional methods of testing and grading, and how they might be amended
- The importance of cultivating a love of work
- How Matt wants to reform high school education
Matt is one of the founders of Higher Ground Education, a worldwide Montessori network. He runs Montessorium, Higher Ground’s think tank. He holds a PhD in philosophy from the University of Pennsylvania, where he focused on the philosophy of science. Make sure to follow him on twitter for some golden education nuggets
- Matt on the Where We Go Next podcast.
- Vocational Training for the Soul: Bringing the Meaning of Work to Schools
- Matt’s History of Education Course
Article Source: https://www.incrementspodcast.com/37?s=09