Recommended Age: 2 and ½ to 3 and ½ years
Purpose: For the child to build strengthen the muscles in their hands through squeezing the sponge (indirectly preparing the child for writing)
Level of Parent Involvement: Low, the adult must model the exercise for the child then the child may work independently.
- 2 small bowls
- A kitchen sponge (cut in half)
- A tray
- A small jug
- A face washer/cloth to wipe up any spills
- Place the two small bowls on the tray, place the jug in between the bowls and the sponge in one of the bowls
- Invite the child letting them know that you have an activity to show them
- Show the child the tray with the materials, model how to carry the tray then invite then child to bring the tray to the table
- When the child places the tray on the table, name the materials (bowl, jug, sponge)
- Invite the child to get water in the jug (two thirds full, you may like to use warm water as the child will be getting their hands wet)
- The child may pour the water from the jug into the bowl on the right
- Take the sponge and feel, letting the child know that the sponge is dry
- Invite the child to feel the dry sponge
- Let the child know that you are going to put the sponge into the bowl to absorb the water
- Place the sponge into the bowl, noticing with the child the sponge expanding as it soaks up the water
- Pick up the sponge and move it above the bowl on the left
- Squeeze all of the water out of the sponge into the bowl
- Place the sponge back into the bowl on the right and repeat as above
- Continue using the sponge to transfer all of the water from the bowl on the right into the bowl on the left
- Once the bowl on the right is empty, let the child know you are now going to transfer the water back
- Repeat as above using the sponge to transfer the water from the bowl to the left into the bowl on the right
- When all of the water is back in the bowl on the right, invite the child to have a turn, leaving them to work independently
- Let the child know where the face washer/cloth is to dry the tray/table or any spills, also let them know where they can empty the water from their bowl when finished
- The child may use a small ladle to transfer
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?