Recommended Age: 3.5y+
Level of Parent Involvement: Low, once modelled
- Can hold a crayon, texta or coloured pencil in a tripod grasp and colour in with it
- Crayons, textas or coloured pencils
- Assorted Toys (e.g. animal/dinosaur models, block constructions, etc.)
- A sunny driveway, backyard, or pathway (best in the early morning or late afternoon)
- Put the paper on a firm surface on the ground.
- Place the toys along the edge of the paper so that they cast their shadows onto the paper.
- Trace the outline of one of the shadows.
- Invite the child to trace the outlines of the other shadows.
- Colour in the outline of the shadow that you traced, modelling for the child how to fill in the entire outline.
- Invite the child to use the crayons, textas or coloured pencils to colour in the outlines of the other shadows.
- Trace shadows indoors when the sun comes in through a window.