Recommended Age: 2.5y+
Level of Parent Involvement: Medium
- Can hold sidewalk chalk and draw with it
- Sidewalk chalk
- A sunny driveway, backyard, or sidewalk (best in the early morning or late afternoon)
- Invite your child outside and have them find their shadow and yours.
- Explain to the child that “The sun casts shadows of different sizes depending on the time of day!”
- Invite your child to stand still while you trace the outline of their shadow.
- Invite the child to do the same for your shadow.
- Show the child how to use the chalk to colour in the outline.
- Colour in your outline, modelling for the child how to fill in the entire outline.
- Invite the child to use the chalk to colour in the outline of other shadows as well.
- The child can make a new shadow outline of himself every three hours and notice how his shadows are getting bigger or smaller.
- Trace the shadow outlines of inventive poses.
- Have everyone in the family join in to make the biggest shadow that can be made!
- Trace the shadow outlines of other objects (fences, flowers, tree branches, garden decorations).