Recommended Age: 2.5y+
Level of Parent Involvement: Low
- A bean bag or pair of rolled up socks
- Empty laundry basket or other container
- Masking or painter’s tape
- Watch this video clip about teaching your child to throw the bean bag with an Underarm Throw – https://youtu.be/rCDq9a3guBs
- Place a piece of masking or painter’s tape on the floor to show how far away from the container the child should stand.
- Show the child how to stand behind the piece of masking or painter’s tape that you put on the floor.
- Show your child how to throw the bean bag with an underarm throw – hold the bean bag in your dominant hand, next to your thigh; swing your arm backwards; as you bring your arm forwards, step forward with your non-dominant leg; release the bean bag when your arm is in front of your body to toss it into the container.
- Fetch the bean bag and invite your child to have a turn. Encourage him to practice for as long as he would like to.
- When your child can throw the bean bag into the container, increase the difficulty by moving the tape further back.
- Play this game outside with a tennis ball.